In c 1900 a Swindon Chess Club was formed by Canon A. G. G. Ross (President of the B.C.F. 1921-1938) and based in the Mechanics Institute, Emlyn Square. After the war, many separate chess clubs were formed reaching a maximum of 16 in 1976. In 1973 one such club (captained by L.Taylor, now deceased) was part of Vickers Ltd. Sports & Social Club which subsequently became the Supermarine Club in 1982. In 1995 the group decided to leave Supermarine and become independent, resurrecting the name of Swindon Chess Club in the process. For a while this club operated out of the Moose Hall, Eastcott Road and other venues, before moving to its current location in 2011.
Amongst the stalwarts of the former Supermarine and now Swindon Chess Club are Messrs Chapman, Carver and Walters. These three players were key to the creation and still are to the continued success of this club.
Swindon Chess Club won the Minor League in 2016, 2017 & 2021.
Swindon Chess Club generally enters one or more teams in the Intermediate League depending on the number of players available. It has rarely failed to finish in the top two places and has won the title in : 2001, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2021.
In 2018 Swindon Chess Club won the Major League for the first time.